t is no secret that exercise seems to become more difficult with age. If you are a 50-year-old man looking for a great exercise program to keep you active, you might wonder if yoga is good for you. That is a great question, given all of the twists and bends that tend to be associated with yoga, so it is helpful to know if it will be beneficial to you.
Yoga is extremely safe and viewed to be a highly beneficial form of exercise for men 50 years of age or older. It can help men:
- Enhance their own level of physical performance
- Keep the body active and limber
- Increase emotional well-being all at the same time
Yoga is a great way for men to keep their bodies loose and limber as they age. As with any form of exercise, there are limitations and certain things that need to be considered. Continue reading to learn about the benefits of yoga for men 50 years of age or older and how you can implement this into your own workout regime as soon as possible.
Is Yoga Good for a 50 Year Old Man?
The benefits associated with yoga are not restricted to younger people or those who are currently in great physical condition. Yoga is a great form of exercise for men over 50 years of age on many levels. After very few sessions, it increases well-being in areas of:
- Even sexual
There are actually quite a few reasons why yoga is good for a 50-year-old man. Below is a summary of the more notable advantages that you can begin to realize right away.
- Less strain: As our bodies age, they can take much longer to recover after a workout. This is why it is helpful to find a form of exercise that does not cause as much strain on the body. As an exercise, yoga is a low-impact form of activity that older men can take part in without overly taxing their joints or muscles.
- Sleep quality can improve: Many men find sleep more difficult to come by as they age. This is another area where yoga can help. It has been noted that individuals who take part in regular yoga sessions report better overall sleep quality when compared to those who do no yoga at all.
- Better flexibility: Even older men can still increase their flexibility over time. While it might be difficult to bend over and touch your toes today, yoga can help make that become a reality in the near future. This will increase your overall range of motion as well. You may also notice that the flexibility in your ankles and shoulders increases as well after doing yoga for some time.
- Bones can be strengthened: It is vital that men do what they can to promote the strengthening of their bones as they age. Yoga is one activity that can help you do this for yourself. Regular yoga sessions have been shown to increase bone density in older adults. This is a tremendous benefit that 50-year-old men will realize when doing yoga themselves.
- Better mental health: Older men often suffer from a variety of mental health ailments. Rather than seeking out medical assistance for all of them, yoga can do wonders at improving the mental well-being of men over the age of 50. In fact, yoga has been found to be more effective than other forms of exercise at reducing incidences of anger, depression, and anxiety in older men.
- Enhanced muscle density: It is a given that men will lose a certain amount of muscle as they age. However, yoga is a form of exercise that can help build back some of this muscle density. It will allow the individual to become a bit stronger and be able to physically accomplish much more as a result. This happens because yoga is a form of bodyweight resistance training. You will be putting your body in certain positions that make your muscles work in ways they would otherwise not normally be pushed to do. Over time, this will result in muscle growth.
- Lower blood pressure: It is also important for older men to make sure that they keep their blood pressure from rising too high. Yoga is a way to naturally lower blood pressure without needing to resort to medication.
These benefits alone highlight why yoga should be considered a good form of exercise for a 50-year-old man. This includes those individuals who have never tried yoga and have no idea currently how to apply its principles.
Can You Learn Yoga In Your 50s?
It is definitely possible to learn yoga in your 50s. In fact, there are many different styles of yoga to practice. If you find that one type of yoga is not really your thing, then you can look for another form of practice that resonates more with your body and exercise preferences.
A 50-year-old man will probably want to start by taking a Hatha yoga class. This is considered to be the most gentle form of yoga and will allow your body the time it needs to adapt to the new movements that you will be putting it through. There are specific poses that you will learn as you begin. Hold each one as you practice. Master it, and then move on to the next one.
Either Yin or Restorative Yoga is also great to learn when you are in your 50s. Both of these provide a calm and healing approach to the discipline of yoga without shocking your body into action. If your body is beginning to show signs of aging, both of these styles of yoga will help to heal and restore you to the point you may feel many years younger.
If you are an older man that has extremely poor flexibility or is physically limited in some way, you can still learn how to do yoga. For example, there is a chair yoga class that you can participate in if you have severe knee or back pain. Many of the poses in yoga and be modified so that they can be done while you are seated. You will get many of the benefits associated with doing them.
How Do Men Start Doing Yoga?
Thanks to modern technology, there are many ways that a 50-year-old man can start doing yoga. In order to gain the value of a personal instructor, there is always the option of attending live classes in a yoga studio. There are also many online and digital video options that you can pursue.
The key to getting started with yoga is to first learn what it is all about. There are plenty of books that have been published for beginners that will help readers grasp the basic fundamentals of yoga. Understanding what yoga involves will help older men better understand what will be expected of their bodies as they start to do yoga.
There are so many yoga instructors around the world today that a man will have no trouble finding a knowledgeable individual who can teach him the basics of yoga and how to get started. Many of these instructors are online and can be accessed on-demand, no matter what time of the day or night it might be.
To begin doing yoga properly and to help them to get the maximum benefit out of the discipline, older men will want to consider investing in:
- Some workout clothes
- A proper yoga mat
- Some other equipment like a yoga pillow
Having everything purchased and ready to go before the very first class will make the entire yoga experience that much more enjoyable.
Follow the link to read the review on Man Flow Yoga.)
Take Online Courses
Many older men might not be quite ready to make the leap to an in-person yoga studio right from day one. Thanks to modern technology that is no problem. In fact, many people live quite a distance from a yoga studio. This makes it impractical to attend live classes. Online yoga classes have now become mainstream. This is a great way for an older man to begin learning yoga.
There are literally thousands of yoga courses online ready for older men to join. The benefit of this is that there is no pressure. Nobody will be watching you as you attempt to learn and perfect new poses. You can learn at your own pace and free from others casting you those worrisome glances. It is also great to have a few friends join you at home to learn how to do yoga together.
Many online yoga classes are live. This gives new students the added benefit of replicating the studio experience right in their own homes. You will also be able to ask your instructor questions, and they will be able to zero in on your webcam to help you perfect various poses. This is a great way to start doing yoga as a 50-year-old man.
Watch and Follow YouTube Videos
If you just want to take it slow and learn yoga on your own as an older man, that is possible with YouTube and other digital media sources. These videos will have professional yoga instructors that will walk you through the various poses and how to perform each one. The main advantage of a video is that you can pause it and replay it as often as you would like.
You will find videos online about every aspect of yoga. Once you find a form of yoga or a particular pose that you would like to perfect, finding a video on YouTube will be quite easy. Some of these are free and meant to simply be informative, while others are subscription-based and will provide you with other benefits as well.
Go to an In-Person Studio and Just Try It! Then Go Again!
Perhaps the best way for a 50-year-old man to learn yoga is to visit an in-person studio and start taking some classes. You will be amazed at how many older individuals are turning to yoga for the very first time. This is a great way to get personal instruction and to meet others who have an interest in taking better care of their health as they age.
Remember to keep going if you visit an in-person studio. You might find that the first few sessions tire you out and may leave you feeling a bit different than you thought. This is to be expected since you are using your body in ways you never have before. Stick with it, and you will be reaping the benefits of yoga in no time at all.
Now that you know more about the benefits of yoga in your 50s, it is time to consider how you can get started. Taking classes online and in the comfort of your own home is a great way to begin. You can also develop new friendships and be a part of a support group if you take classes in a yoga studio. Ultimately, the choice is up to you.