oga teacher training online is the best thing that ever happened to yoga instructors. Being able to pursue your yoga training means that the course is self-paced, and you can take it for however long you may need to. Even though Yoga Alliance permitted yoga teacher training online due to the lack of ease in movement globally, it is a much-needed relief. If you’ve been thinking of being a certified yoga instructor, now’s your time to shine.
Choosing online teacher training requires you to be a bit more careful because anyone can be a yoga teacher, but not everyone can teach and embody the same practices as yourself. There are tips you should keep in mind to make sure that you have the perfect yoga teacher.
Yoga teacher training online is supposed to be the best ride of your life, and it can be if you keep in mind a few considerations. Training online means you’ll choose your hours and schedule at the comfort of your home. With the right tips in mind, you’ll have the perfect experience ever.
Yoga training isn’t just a class. The teacher should have the same values and vibes that resonate with you because the course will embed in you their teaching methods and most of their styles—choosing the right course and instructor is of the essence.
Is it Possible To Get Certified as a Yoga Instructor Online?
Yes! Currently, this is possible. Yoga Alliance, a non-profit body that regulates Yoga practice in the U.S, allowed Yoga teacher training online until the end of this year. By the end of 2021, the rules might change, but we hope that online teacher training remains.
Currently, you can get the same certification offered for years to Yoga teachers attending teacher training classes.
What Does the Yoga Alliance Require for the Online Yoga Teacher Training?
For online yoga teacher training to be certified by Yoga Alliance, there are a few rules to ensure that they are as wholesome and informative as in-person training.
- The teachings have to use pre-recorded materials, notes, teaching materials, and real-time virtual learning, which means the lead trainer must ensure the availability of necessary materials to equip students. The lead trainer should also be present half the time.
- Yoga Alliance doesn’t allow online training to have more than five lead instructors.
- Competency assessments such as tests must clearly define the method being used to test the trainees’ competency.
- At least fifty percent of the online training has to be taught by the lead trainer.
You might be doing all this YTT online research because you want to know whether you’re ready to be a yoga teacher. Few methods can help you figure out whether Yoga teacher training courses online is for you or not.
- You want to share yoga with others: After you’ve practiced yoga for a while and have seen its benefits, you might find yourself recommending it to people you think might need it. If this is you, you’re ready for the teacher training. Yoga is communal and meant to help everyone, so now you can train and help others.
- You’re passionate: If yoga is the highlight of your day and you can’t wait to do it daily, then the teacher training is for you. You might also be that person who prefers to save up for a yoga retreat over a vacation. Passion isn’t a necessity when it comes to teacher training online, but it is what determines how far you’ll go.
- You’re ready to deepen your yoga and spiritual practice: Yoga teacher training isn’t an easy task. The course will challenge you physically, mentally, and spiritually. Teacher raining brings your demons, fears, and insecurities to the surface this can be scary but also illuminating. Ensure it is the right time to get through your inner growth (it’s never the right time, but be ready to go through it).
- You enjoy learning: To be a teacher, you never stop learning. If you love being humbled and learning new things, Yoga teacher training is for you. You will keep learning more during your course and even after.
- Yoga has proudly helped you: We store our physical and emotional trauma in our bodies. Taking deep breaths and doing yoga can help you get rid of stress. If you came to your mat to heal your body or heart, you might be thinking of learning more about how yoga works to heal us so you can help people with the same problem. You can learn more about trauma in our bodies and how to learn to combat it with trauma-informed yoga training.
- You want to be part of a community: There is nothing as satisfying as being around like-minded people. Teacher training offers you an opportunity to stay around people with the same beliefs and practices as you. Most of these people will remain to be your friends for a very long time. Also, when teaching yoga, you will always be around like-minded individuals.
And when you are done with your certification you will want to continue growing and learning the practice. Check out these yoga continuing education online courses!
5 Tips When Pursuing Yoga Teacher Training Online
The best yoga teacher training online classes should abide by Yoga Alliance and also follow your personal preferences.
1. Know The Lead Instructor
Knowing who will be conducting most of your training is vital when selecting a YTTI. It is effortless to find information about someone in this day and age since we have all put ourselves out there on the internet. Scan the internet and inquire in relevant groups if anyone has pursued the course that’s the best way to know more about the instructor.
Your lead instructor’s style and personality should merge with yours because you will most likely pick up most of their styles, voice, manner, and teaching methods. Make sure you and the instructor are not too indifferent.
It can also be a bit annoying paying for a course that you have to force yourself to vibe with the teacher. To know more about the instructor, you could even ask the one you’re seriously considering if they can allow you to attend a few of their classes this will help you make the right decision based on what you’ll observe during that class.
2. What Hours do The Classes Operate On?
Since the classes are online, this means the teacher could be in any part of the world. Make sure the hours of classes match your schedule. Paying for a whole course that needs you to attend at midnight can be very inconvenient. Double-check the hours to make sure they’re appropriate for you too.
Also, check how many teaching hours the instructor recommends for the course and if you’ll need to send in some recordings of you teaching your classes. Keep in mind that the more you practice, the better you will be at teaching and personal practice. Feedback on your skills is also crucial as it helps you learn new things every time.
It is impossible to be a yoga teacher when no one has ever observed you teach a class and pointed out a few things that you need to keep in mind the next time. If your Yoga school doesn’t require a video/practicum of you teaching a class, this is most definitely a red flag.
3. Reputation and Yoga Alliance Accreditation
You will be wasting time if you take a course that Yoga Alliance doesn’t recognize. Even though the course doesn’t need to be approved by Yoga Alliance, it sure would help. Because having a Yoga Alliance certification allows you to teach yoga anywhere in the world. Also, the standards put in place by Yoga Alliance will enable you to be a better Yoga teacher.
Even though a school may be certified by Yoga Alliance, it doesn’t mean that they are of good quality. The institution isn’t able to determine quality. So, this means that you’ll have to dig deeper to make sure that the program you choose meets the quality you need.
There are so many ways for you to determine an institution’s reputation. You can chat with graduates of the program and ask them about their experience in the institution and whether it’s worth it. You can also read reviews on the Yoga Alliance website, the institution’s website, and Facebook.
Know if it’s well established, the number of locations they have, and how many programs they’ve completed. Training programs that have studios all over the country offer a different experience compared to small independent studios. Choose the one that speaks to you.
4. How Many Hours Include Live Interaction?
Just because you’re getting your certification online doesn’t mean that you should be watching all pre-recorded videos. That can be boring, and you won’t get much from it. It will be like teaching yourself. You need the instructor to guide you on some things and also give you more wisdom.
Teacher training is less of a course and more like passing down years of experience and knowledge. It can be hard to do all this through a pre-recorded videos. So, make sure the teacher training you choose has some live interaction, either weekly or daily.
During Yoga teacher training, you will have so many questions along the way that you will need your instructor to be present and answer them. Sometimes a Facebook group dedicated to interaction might not be enough.
5. What Does the Course Consist of?
Before paying for the course, check out their program and what you’ll be learning. If it’s a Registered Yoga School, there are central topics that you must be taught. The difference between these programs is the emphasis they put on specific styles of Yoga. So, you can choose a program that emphasizes the type of Yoga you want to practice the most.
Suppose you choose programs that are more on the “corporate side” you will be taught how to teach yoga so you can get started as soon as possible. Corporate teacher trainings don’t pay much attention to topics such as philosophy, anatomy, etc. The positive side to this is that once your training is over, they might offer you employment.
Other programs concentrate on different subjects such as anatomy. Such a course will be helpful if you need to get a deeper dive into the topic rather than quick employment.
Also, get to know what tools you’ll remain with after the course. This could be items like a manual with all the poses and how to do them and prevent injury. Such an item could be beneficial when you need guidance later on.
The above tips will help you be successful when pursuing Yoga teacher training online. There are so many online yoga courses out there, and we know how difficult scanning through them to find a suitable course can be. If you’re looking to be a Yoga Therapist, there are a few courses we have put together to help narrow down your search. We even have course on children’s yoga teacher training online!