The 5 Best Online Handstand Courses: Not Just for Yoga
f you have ever tried to do a handstand, you know it is not the easiest. Not only do you need to have upper body strength, but you also need to have a strong core and the ability to balance. Doing a handstand is not the easiest thing to do, but you will be able to do a handstand with a little practice and training.
You can find many tips and tricks online to help prepare you for handstands, but some are better than others. Here are the top five online handstand courses that you should check out.
In this article, you will learn about the top five handstand courses that are available online.
What Counts as a Handstand?
You may be wondering what an expert would consider a handstand. The dictionary definition of a handstand is when you are supporting your entire body weight on your hands. Your feet will be in the air with your legs and trunk fully supported by your arms. You can also learn the 7 steps to a perfect handstand to get a head start.
Can You Be Supported?
Completing a handstand is not a simple task. In the progression of learning the art of the handstand, you will depend on the support of some sort until your muscles become trained enough to support the weight of your body. While this is a type of handstand, it is not considered a full handstand because you are not relying solely on the support of your own body.
Can You Program for Handstand Training?
The act of doing a handstand is not something that most people can naturally do. Because doing a handstand involves using multiple muscles in your body, you may need to produce a workout program that isolates those muscles. The main muscles used to complete a handstand successfully are.
Deltoids: These large muscles are located on the outside of the shoulder and are responsible for arm rotation. This muscle is comprised of three separate groups of fibers (anterior, posterior, and middle). These exercises can help strengthen the deltoids.
- Dumbbell presses
- Reverse fly
Lats: This is the largest muscle in your back and is responsible for all shoulder movement. These exercises can help strengthen the Lats.
- Pull-ups or chin-ups
- Variations of rows
Rhomboids: These muscles extend from the vertebrae to the shoulder blade and help to stabilize your shoulder blade. These exercises can help strengthen the rhomboids.
- Lateral raises
- Face pull
- Resistance Band Exercises
Traps: The trapezius muscles are in the shape of a trapezoid and extend from the neck to the shoulders and down the back. The purpose of these muscles is to help with posture as well as shoulder blade control. These exercises can help strengthen the traps.
- Farmer’s Walk
- Overhead Carry
Arms: Every muscle in your arms should be strengthened before doing a handstand. These exercises can help strengthen the arms.
- Kettlebell exercises
Core: The core muscles are crucial when it comes to doing handstands. This is because the core is responsible for helping to support the legs and torso when in a handstand. These exercises can help strengthen the core muscles.
- Plank variations
- Crunch variations
- Glute bridges
As you can see, there are many different exercises that you can do to help strengthen the muscles necessary to complete a handstand. Which can be one of the most advanced yoga poses. So, if you choose to complete an online course, it is likely that many of them will also include strength training exercises.
The 5 Best Online Handstand Courses Not Just for Yoga
If you are serious about becoming a handstand master, you may want to check out some online courses. As you are looking, be sure to focus on courses that are not specifically geared to yoga handstands. While you may use the same techniques, they may not be what you are looking for specifically. There are some great online courses available.
1. 6 Weeks to Handstand by Kyle Weiger
Unlocking your handstand potential is easier than you think with “6 Weeks to Handstand.” This program is specially designed for adult beginners looking to conquer the art of handstands, whether you’re into yoga, CrossFit, dance, or any other form of exercise. In just six weeks, you’ll achieve more progress than you ever thought possible.
Expert coach Kyle Weiger has divided the program into six phases, starting with the foundational “Flirting” phase, gradually building your strength and balance until you reach the harmonious “In Love” phase. You’ll also experience a “Healthy Space” phase, focusing on flexibility for a stronger comeback.
But mastering the handstand goes beyond physicality. Our supplemental videos, “Mobility Essentials” and “Yoga & Meditation,” will help align your body and mind, providing the flexibility and holistic well-being needed to conquer this skill. For just $197, you can turn your handstand dreams into reality. Don’t miss this opportunity to transform yourself – discover more about Kyle’s program in our comprehensive Find Your Balance Review.
2. Journey to Handstand Course by YogaRenew
Are you ready to embark on a 6-hour handstand journey with the YogaRenew’s Journey to Handstand Course? This course is designed to equip you with the skills needed to master inversions, and it offers 6 CEUs recognized by Yoga Alliance. Here’s what it has in store for you:
- Mindset Matters: Start by addressing any limiting beliefs and cultivating a positive attitude towards your handstand practice. This mental shift sets the stage for a successful journey.
- Mobility and Strength: Engage in targeted exercises through videos and instructional materials to build a strong foundation for your handstand practice.
- Building Your Foundation: Learn the intricacies of hand placement, entry methods, and balancing mechanics while upside down. This phase ensures you have a solid base before advancing to more complex variations.
- Meditation Component: Guided meditations assist in releasing limiting beliefs, enhancing focus, and promoting a sense of calm, crucial for handstand success.
- Alignment and Anatomy: Explore these aspects through engaging videos and gain insights into how your body naturally aligns during this pose.
- Asana Integration: Prepare your body and mind for the challenges of handstands with a full 60-minute vinyasa flow, creating a smooth transition from your regular practice to the exciting world of inversions.
- Informational slides and a printable PDF with handstand anatomy tips.
Guided meditations to help release limiting beliefs.
- Fun and instructional videos to enhance your strength and mobility.
A complete 60-minute vinyasa flow to get you ready for handstands.
Upon completion, you can register for 6 CEUs with Yoga Alliance.
This comprehensive curriculum, priced at $69, covers mindset, mobility, strength, alignment, anatomy, and meditation, ensuring a holistic transformation. It equips you with the tools to conquer the handstand, regardless of your current level of expertise. Are you up for the challenge?
3. Online Handstand Course by Yoga Bliss
Thanks to online learning, the Yoga Bliss Online Handstand Course is accessible to everyone at their own pace.
How this course helps you conquer the handstand:
- Evolutionary Anatomy: Learn about the evolutionary adaptations that have shaped our bodies, revealing our natural ability for balance and movement. You’ll gain a deep appreciation for your body’s design and its affinity for handstands.
- Overcoming Challenges: Identify and conquer common obstacles like fear, core strength limitations, and shoulder mobility issues. The course provides progressive exercises and expert guidance to turn these challenges into achievements.
- Active Range of Motion: Discover how to use active range of motion to achieve stability and control in your handstands. Learn to engage your muscles effectively for a balanced and graceful handstand.
- Proprioception: Tap into your body’s innate sense of position and movement to refine your alignment, balance, and adjustments while upside down, ensuring safer and more graceful handstands.
- Self-Paced Learning: Enjoy the freedom of a 100% self-paced learning journey. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced practitioner, this course adapts to your pace, making your journey to handstand mastery enjoyable and effective.
Whether you’re starting from scratch or looking to enhance your skills, this $77 course welcomes all levels. It’s a testament to the digital age, offering an inclusive and innovative approach to mastering the art of handstands. With determination, practice, and the guidance of the well-structured Yoga Bliss online course, mastering handstands can become an exciting reality for anyone willing to embrace it.
4. Yoga Inversions 101 by mindbodygreen
Are you interested in mastering yoga inversions? Whether you’re a beginner or have some experience, this course is designed for you. It starts with the fundamentals and gradually progresses to advanced poses, allowing you to choose the starting point that matches your yoga skills.
mindbodygreen offers one of the most sought-after online yoga inversion classes. Here’s what it provides:
- Beginner Course: Begin by familiarizing yourself with the class and instructor. It’s a great starting point to ease into the practice.
- Advanced Course: Once you’re ready, delve into more challenging poses and elevate your inversion and yoga skills.
The only thing to note is that this course comes with a fee of $49.99, but it’s a one-time payment that grants you lifetime access to the entire class and its benefits. This means you can revisit the course whenever you like, tailoring your lessons to your specific yoga needs.
5. Alo Moves
Looking for comprehensive yoga inversion lessons? This course has you covered with a wealth of high-quality content available anytime, anywhere.
Alo Moves stands out as the most diverse online yoga inversion course in this lineup. For a monthly fee of $20 or an annual fee of $200, you gain access to everything necessary to become a yoga inversion expert. The videos are top-notch and easy to follow. You have the flexibility to choose your daily workout based on your needs, and the course offers a wide variety of videos to meet all your yoga inversion requirements.
The only downside is that there are no live videos available. However, the website continuously updates with fresh content, ensuring you’ll always have access to new lessons. Ready to embark on your yoga inversion journey?
Is it Necessary to Take a Class?
After looking at all these options, you may be wondering if a class is necessary to perfect your handstand. Because a handstand requires the use of specific muscles and requires that you be inverted to complete it successfully, proper training is critical.
While you may not need to take a lengthy course, it is very important that you learn proper techniques. If you attempt a handstand without proper mechanics, you run the risk of severely injuring yourself. When attempting to do a handstand for the first time, it would be wise to have a wall nearby that you can use as support.
There are many alternatives to learning a handstand. You can even download an app to help you learn yoga!
What are the Benefits of Doing Handstands?
Handstands may seem like they take a lot of effort for little payoff but learning how to do a handstand can provide many long-term health benefits. Some of the most notable health benefits of frequent handstands are:
- Increased strength
- Lessen feelings of stress and anxiety
- It helps increase blood flow from legs to rest of body
- Increased skeletal strength
- Increased balance
There are other benefits to practicing handstands, but the most noticeable and lasting are going to be the increased strength you see in your arms and core. It is also worth mentioning that the determination required to do a handstand can help in other areas of your life that require determination as well.
Different Types of Handstands
It is important to know that not all handstands are the same. The two most common types of handstands are curved back and straight back. Both involve inversion, but the curved back version allows for better balance than the straight back.
Handstands are a fantastic way to stay in shape and are popular movements in yoga. While they may look effortless, they require a lot of strength and balance. If you are serious about doing handstands long-term, it is important that you properly prepare your body and slowly progress to a full handstand. One of the best ways to learn how to do a handstand properly is by taking a course that goes step by step through the process.