Hands Down the Best Equipment for Teaching Yoga Online
ith so many people learning online today, it seems only natural that yoga classes would be offered in this medium as well. If you are a yoga teacher looking to move your services online, you might be wondering what type of equipment you need to have in order to be successful. There are some unique components to teaching online, and it is important to have the best.
Teaching online requires certain technological equipment that you would not normally need if you were holding classes in a traditional studio. As you think about teaching students in a virtual environment, it is important to consider such items as:
Simply knowing what equipment is necessary for teaching yoga online is not enough. If you want to be effective and grow your practice, you want to be using the best equipment possible. Continue reading to learn about the best pieces of equipment that you can use today if you are teaching yoga online.
What Different Ways are Instructors Teaching Yoga Online?
Instructors today are taking their yoga studio online directly to their students in a variety of ways. This includes:
- Recording videos and posting them on external sites such as YouTube
- Offering a live streaming service from a home studio
- And so much more
If you are a yoga instructor looking for ways to capitalize on the growing trend towards online learning, there are a variety of platforms where you can offer your services. Not only can you create your own online presence, but you can also use already established sites to market and sell your yoga classes directly over the Internet.
How Can I Teach Yoga Online?
Teaching yoga online is easier than you might think. You can focus on offering pre-recorded yoga sessions on YouTube or a variety of social media sites. However, it can be difficult to earn the kind of revenue you want on these sites alone. Another option is to create your own online yoga studio.
While teaching yoga online might require you to shift your approach to the discipline ever so slightly, the basic principles are the same. You can set up a yoga studio directly in your own home in which to conduct the sessions. All you need is some special equipment that will help get you online, but we will cover that in a moment.
Benefits of Teaching from Your Own Online Yoga Studio
If you start your own online yoga platform, you can literally enroll students from around the world. This will bring about many benefits that you could not really achieve if you were to stick to only teaching in a physical yoga studio.
Some of those benefits include the following:
- Teach a diverse and global community: Yoga is for everybody. In fact, it is a discipline with origins in Eastern philosophy, but many in the West had adopted its practices as well. With an online yoga studio, you can connect with students from just about every world- and people-group ever imagined.
- Don’t be tied down to one location: You will no longer feel as if you must stay at the same studio for years at a time. Teaching online allows you the chance to work with students from down the street and across the globe at the same time. This is a unique opportunity that only online teaching platforms can provide.
- Earn passive income as a yoga teacher: As you grow in your online Yoga practice, you will be able to hold recorded classes on-demand with your subscribers. This opens up a virtually limitless opportunity when it comes to revenue. You will receive passive income over time without even having to host live sessions. It is this type of passive income that allows you to grow in your profession as an online yoga instructor.
- No more class size limitations: Physical yoga studios always have a limitation on the size of the class. After all, you can only fit so many people into a studio classroom and still provide everyone with enough space to do yoga. That limitation is no longer a barrier when it comes to teaching yoga online. There are no space restrictions, so you can have as many join your class as you would like.
- Use social media to your advantage: Social media is also an excellent way to promote yourself as an online yoga teacher. You can only meet so many people on your own. Social media is a way to expand that network exponentially. You can also offer some great advice and teachings on social media in order to attract potential clients, and then you can direct them to your online platform, where they can begin to benefit from all that you have to offer.
These are just a few of the many ways that you can benefit from teaching yoga online. You will discover that there are many options available to you as you attract students, so just decide which method suits you the best and then go from there.
The Best Equipment for Teaching Yoga Online
Making the plunge into teaching yoga online does require some planning. For example, you will not be able to get very far with teaching in a virtual environment if you do not have a camera with which to demonstrate various yoga poses to your students. There is a variety of equipment that you need to have ready before you begin, so continue reading this section to learn more.
A good microphone is essential to your online yoga class. Your students need to clearly hear what you are saying. You also need to be able to move freely during the class without the sound being compromised. This means that there are quite a few things to consider as you go to pick out the perfect microphone for your online yoga studio.
As you start looking at microphones, you will quickly discover that there are many different types available on the market. Each one will come with a variety of options that may or may not be applicable to you. It really comes down to how much you are willing to spend on a microphone, but thankfully there are some great ones on the market that do not cost a lot.
What is the Best Microphone for Teaching Yoga Online?
The best microphone for teaching yoga online is the Rode Wireless Go. This microphone is:
- On the expensive side
- Easy to set up
- Highly portable
You just clip the transmitter to your workout clothes, and you are ready to begin teaching yoga online. It is also compatible with most smartphones.
Students learning yoga online need to see their instructor. This is necessary in order for them to learn various poses and for them to remain focused on what you are trying to teach them. As you consider teaching online, it is important to think about your camera options such as the JOYUSING HD Camera and how you will implement this piece of equipment within the scope of your own studio.
You will be happy to know that you do not have to be a video expert to shoot a great video today. Cameras have evolved so quickly that the one on your smartphone will likely do the job nicely. Many smartphones today even have 4K capability built right into them. Beyond that, they are easy to handle and manipulate, which is useful as you are teaching.
What is the Best Camera for Teaching Yoga Online?
Since it is not always possible or cost-effective to have some taping all of your yoga sessions, you will want to invest in a tripod of your own. This is going to make your life as an online yoga teacher so much simpler. This is a piece of equipment that does not cost much and can easily be adjusted to be at the height that you need it to be.
When you look for your tripod, you want to make sure that you select one that is known for its stability. The legs should extend wide so that the tripod cannot be easily knocked over. You also want to make sure that your tripod is compatible with a phone. This is the smallest type of video camera you can have, so it is important that the tripod can accommodate it.
What is the Best Tripod for Teaching Yoga Online?
The best tripod for teaching yoga online is the K&F Concept S210. Not only is this tripod compatible with most smartphones, but it is also sturdy and durable. You will find that the three legs on this one are easily adjustable and that the head of the tripod tilts to all different angles.
Lighting is also important because you never know when you will be filming in dark conditions. Even if you are fortunate enough to have a home studio that already has a great deal of natural light, there will be occasions where you need even more. You will want to have some lighting available in order to ensure that you and your teaching and props come across clearly on the video.
Lighting is important on many different levels:
- You will be teaching throughout the year, so you have to be prepared for fluctuations in the weather.
- Just because it is dull and dreary outside does not mean you cannot hold a yoga session. However, it does mean that you need to have some alternative lighting in place.
- The same is true when it starts to turn darker earlier in the day.
What is the Best Lighting for Teaching Yoga Online?
The best lighting system for teaching yoga online is the Geekoto Softbox Set. This set is relatively inexpensive, considering all that you get. There are many different soft and diffused lights you can use to easily set up your studio. Play around with the angles to get the effect just right.
Now that you know more about the best pieces of equipment for teaching yoga online, it is time to consider how to set up your own home studio. There are many students ready to learn yoga from you online. Having the best equipment available to greet them will make a world of difference as you strive to grow your practice in the coming years.